Emily Wilkinson started her career by leading the legal and development teams and serving as board secretary at the documentary film based nonprofit, Invisible Children.
Sam Mazzeo got his start in litigation, before joining forces with Emily at Invisible Children after the organization released the most viral video in history (CC: KONY 2012).
In 2014, we co-founded Wilkinson Mazzeo PC (wilkmazz if you’re cool) to provide affordable and quality legal care for causes and creative businesses. Meet the rest of the crew below.
Emily brings the magic to our practice. No, literally—there are gemstones everywhere.
But she also brings the magic with her progressive approach to lawyering, relentless ambition and big heart for our clients. Day to day, she leads the nonprofit, artist, labor and tarot areas of our practice.
Sam can help you legally protect your work, open or close your business, and find a dog gif for your cease-and-desist email. He got his start in litigation, and currently serves on some legit boards like TEDx and Think Dignity.
Sam has a lot of tattoos for being a lawyer. Just saying.
– Served as in-house legal counsel at Invisible Children
– Worked for Oceana, helping improve marine areas and improve salmon fisheries
– Hates the part where Milo and Otis get separated at the river
Steph supports Emily and Sam in the areas of nonprofit, business formation, and film clearance. Before joining wilkmazz, she worked at a nonprofit that provided legal help to creatives and small businesses. Which is similar to what we do, but with less pizza gifs.
She is from Miami. Just like The Rock.
– Worked in the nonprofit and IP sectors before joining wilkmazz
– Started her career as a legal assistant in Miami
– Does not own a neon pantsuit
Liv handles all things marketing-communications and supports us in the areas of contracts, labor and employment, and trademark. She’s also an enthusiastic dog mom. A triple threat.
She heads up our social media and web content, makes kickass animations and infographics, drafts agreements and resource articles, fluffs and folds, all that jazz.
– Founded her law school’s American Civil Liberties Union chapter
– Prepared visa applications for immigrant victims of domestic abuse before joining wilkmazz
– Love language is carbs
Zach is a labor and employment law whiz. When he’s not crafting L&E resource articles, he’s supporting the nonprofit side of the business. He’s also involved with the San Diego Reentry Roundtable, because he’s a go-getter like that.
And he has an amazing fake French accent. You know, if you were wondering.
– Made the Dean’s Honor List in law school
– Started a nonprofit to help the formerly incarcerated find stable employment
– Infatuated with bow-ties
He graduated from law school in April 2018
See all the serious stuff here.
Maria Carmela Magat
Mela is our super helpful intern. She assists with all of the things, including: trademark knockout searches, nonprofit dissolution, labor and employment research, monitoring government filings and due dates for our clients, and B Corp specific projects.
When she’s not being a legal badass, she’s probably making us laugh/cry with a “stealth zinger,” and we are heeere for ittt.
– Sits on two club boards at her law school
– Tutored impoverished children in the Philippines before college
– Played on her high school football team (get it, girl)
She is currently in her final year at California Western School of Law
See all the serious stuff here.